Serious and Catastrophic Injury Claims

Serious and catastrophic injuries are life changing. If you have suffered a serious injury including spinal injury, brain injury or an injury leading to amputation, you will need a qualified specialist to assist you in making a claim for compensation.

Those first steps towards rebuilding your life are about more than the legal advice and compensation; we will support you every step of the way and can help you access appropriate treatment and rehabilitation to give you the best opportunity for your recovery.

Obtaining early interim payments can be vital in this context of ensuring that rehabilitation is in place as soon as possible.  We have considerable expertise in applying to the Court for substantial interim payments

What is a Personal Injury Claim?

A personal injury claim arises when someone who owes you a duty of care, fails to exercise that duty properly and as a result you suffer an injury.

Road traffic accidents

All road users owe a duty to take reasonable care. Whether you were involved in a car accident (as a driver or a passenger), using public transport, a pedestrian, a cyclist or a motorcyclist; we can help you in recovering appropriate compensation.

Accidents at work

If you’re employed, your employer has a duty to provide you with a safe place and safe system of work, whatever your job.

If your employer has failed to meet these duties and you have been injured as a result, you are likely to be entitled to recover compensation.

We have experience in dealing with a wide variety of claims against employers, including:

  • Faulty or inappropriate equipment or machinery
  • Unsafe work places
  • Manual handling and lifting accidents
  • Accidents in the construction industry
  • Attacks by patients on employees in the healthcare industry
  • Failures to provide appropriate training or protective equipment

Fatal Accidents

If a loved one has died as a result of an accident or negligence, we can offer much-needed support to those left behind.

Relatives and financial dependents may be able to claim compensation for bereavement, funeral expenses and for the loss of financial dependency.

Why Choose Griffith Smith

Our team has considerable experience and success in assisting people with many different injuries including head injury and brain injury, spine injuries and complicated fractures.

We understand that the needs of our clients in these claims are complex and often highly sensitive. We understand that our clients are seeking justice and trying to get their lives back on track and we fight passionately to help our clients achieve this.

The Litigation team is headed by Jenny Ray, LLP Partner and an accredited member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers. She is also on the Law Society’s Personal Injury Panel, which means that she has been recognised by the Law Society as an expert in this field.

We offer conditional (no win, no fee) agreements.

We offer a free initial meeting to discuss your claim and advise you on the best course of action.

Frequently asked Questions

This depends on a number of things, including the severity of your injury, how long it takes you to recover, and whether or not the other party agrees to settle the claim. Even the quickest of claims takes several months to complete. Naturally, we aim to get your compensation to you as quickly as possible.

You will be compensated for the injuries and losses that arise out of a third party’s negligent act. This will include compensation for pain, suffering and discomfort, as well as for any temporary or permanent disability. If you have lost any pay, find that your ability to do your job has been affected, or if you have incurred travel, medical or other expenses, then you will be entitled to claim for your financial losses as well.


We believe many people are afraid of approaching a solicitor because they are worried about the cost. But the initial interview will cost you nothing and we will give you honest advice about your options, including ‘No win/No fee’ agreements.


The simple answer is that you have three years from the accident, injury or negligence in which to bring a claim, that is, to issue court proceedings. There are exceptions, however, and these will depend on the specific facts of your case. We will of course advise you accordingly. If you are bringing a claim on behalf of a child the three-year period starts from their 18th birthday.


The vast majority of cases are settled without the need to go to court and usually only reach that stage if a settlement can’t be reached out of court. If, however, it does prove to be necessary in your case, we have considerable experience in court settings and will support you all the way.


Contact Us

For further information, contact Jenny Ray on 01273 384001, by email or by completing our online enquiry form.

For more information please contact a member of our team


    How can we help you?

    • You might also be interested in

      Moving doesn’t need to be stressful

      read more
    • You might also be interested in

      Have you updated your will recently?

      read more
    • You might also be interested in

      Are you thinking of buying or selling a business?

      read more