Criminal Injury Claims

If you have been injured as a result of a violent crime, you may be entitled to receive compensation from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).

You do not necessarily need legal representation to make a claim to the CICA, but in complex cases involving serious injury (or if CICA initially refuses you any compensation), you may need the support and guidance of one of our specialist criminal injury solicitors.

We offer a free initial consultation and No Win, No Fee Criminal Injury Claims Funding so you will not need to pay anything upfront to start a claim.

At Griffith Smith, we will handle your case with the utmost sensitivity and care, providing you with the support you need to get the maximum amount of compensation you deserve.

Criminal injury compensation claims may occur as a result of the following:

  • Mental or physical injury following a crime of violence
  • Sexual or physical abuse
  • Loss of earnings – where you have no or limited capacity to work as the direct result of a criminal injury
  • A fatality caused by a crime of violence.

Criminal injury compensation focuses on compensating the victim, not on punishing the offender. This means even when no one has been charged or convicted, you could still receive compensation.

If you are unsure if your claim is a Criminal Injury Claim or Personal Injury Claim we have considerable experience in both legal aspects and we will be able to support and guide you on your behalf. Appointing one of our solicitors can also avoid delaying your case and help get you the maximum amount of compensation possible.

Frequently Asked Questions about criminal injury compensation claims

Why choose Griffith Smith’s criminal injury solicitors?

We offer a bespoke and personal service, taking particular pride in keeping our clients updated and informed. Our team has particular expertise in criminal injury claims, helping to ensure you get the right outcome for your claim.

We have a long and established history of providing first-class legal advice and client service from our dedicated offices in Brighton and Hassocks.

Our team is led by our Head of Litigation and Dispute Resolution, Jenny Ray, an accredited member of the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL). Jenny is also on the Law Society’s Personal Injury Panel, which means that the Law Society has recognised her as an expert in the field of personal and criminal injury claims.

We offer a free initial meeting to discuss your claim and advise you on the best course of action and our flexible funding options, including our No Win No Fee agreements.

For further information, please contact Jenny Ray on 01273 384001, by emailing or by completing our online enquiry form.

How much criminal injury compensation can I claim? 

We understand this is an essential question for you. The amount you may be able to claim will depend on your circumstances and the complexity of the case, such as:

  • The extent of your injury
  • The impact on your life
  • Whether the injury has caused a long-term or permanent disability
  • If the victim is unable to make their own claim, or they died as a result of the injury

Your entitlement to compensation could range from £1,000 to £500,000, depending on the severity of the injury.

How long does a criminal injury claim take? 

Every case is different, and it will depend on the complexity of your case and the level of compensation involved. The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority typically pays out on successful claims within a timescale of 12 to 18 months, but naturally, we aim to get your compensation to you as quickly as possible.

Can I make a no-win, no fee criminal injury claim?

We offer a free initial consultation and take on criminal injury claims on a No Win No Fee basis (also known as Conditional Fee Agreements). This is a legal funding agreement where the victim does not pay anything upfront, with our fees only needing to be paid if a claim succeeds.

What is the time limit for criminal injury claims?

A claim needs to be made within two years. This means if you want to seek a criminal injury compensation claim, you can only do so up to 2 years after the date of the crime or the date that you realised you were affected as a result of it, and if it was reported to the police as soon as possible.

There are some limited circumstances when this time limit may be extended including where there are exceptional reasons why a claim could not be made earlier or in the event that the injured party is a child provided a claim is made before their 20th  birthday.

Can I make a criminal injury claim if nobody is convicted?

Yes, you can make a full compensation claim for criminal injury for a crime that has taken place even if no one has been caught or convicted.

Can I claim criminal injury compensation if the person responsible for my injuries is unknown?

The Criminal Injury Compensation Authority is responsible for paying out compensation even if the person responsible for the injuries is unknown.

Can I make a criminal injury claim if I have a criminal record?

If you have a criminal record, you may be able to claim criminal injury compensation, but certain types of unspent convictions could mean you are not eligible to claim.

You will likely not be able to claim criminal injury compensation if you have any unspent convictions with any of the following penalties:

  • A community order
  • A youth rehabilitation order
  • A custodial sentence
  • A sentence excluded from rehabilitation
  • A sentence of service detention (under the Armed Forces Act 2006)
  • Removal from Her Majesty’s service
  • A sentence equivalent to points 1-6 in Northern Ireland, an EU member state or country outside the EU where the sentence was properly imposed

However, it is always worth contacting our team to a discussion to make sure you do not miss out on the chance to claim if you are potentially eligible.

Arrange your free consultation with our friendly, expert criminal injury solicitors

We offer a free first consultation with a specialist criminal injury solicitor to set out your options and help you decide how to proceed.

To book your appointment, call Jenny Ray on 01273 384 001, email or fill in our simple online enquiry form for a quick response.

For more information please contact a member of our team


    How can we help you?

    • You might also be interested in

      Moving doesn’t need to be stressful

      read more
    • You might also be interested in

      Have you updated your will recently?

      read more
    • You might also be interested in

      Are you thinking of buying or selling a business?

      read more